Friday, January 22, 2010

Running

I ran track when I was in middle school and then in the 9th grade, I loved it, and I was actually pretty good! I did the 880 relay and ran hurdles, I had long legs and that was about the only time I appreciated those long legs. I think with more encouragement I would have been really good those track events. I remember my mom always said that I was faster than both my brothers- I don't ever remember anyone ever saying that I was good at anything, except running.


This last spring I started running again and now I wonder why I ever stopped- oh, ya- 2 knee surgeries....- Which made my knees as good as new! PTL!

There is a peace I experience when I'm running that I cannot find anywhere else. It's a time when I escape the stress of work and the thoughts of the day that can often consume me. It's a time when God encourages my family and me to be the best I can be, for me.... Through each step He somehow soothes all the things that concern me that day. I finish feeling like I've done what I needed for the day. It's a restoration of sorts. I've somehow convinced myself that I can only run every other day - I'm re-thinking that-

I admit that some days I struggle to get my running shoes on- but 15 minutes into my run I'm speaking positive sentence to myself, like "Kim, you are making your heart and body strong. You can do this, you've done this hill many times, just get to the stop sign and it's down hill.....until.... that next hill. You can do it! And I do. The right music is imperative- It's mostly classic rock; I wish I could get into some Christian rock, I just can't, or maybe I just don't know the right songs.

My niece just ran a 1/2 marathon under 3 hrs, I'm so proud of her- Honestly, I have my doubts as to if I can actually complete a 1/2 marathon.... my goal is to do at least 2 5K races and then a 10K before I do a 1/2 marathon. I'll keep you posted-

1 comment:

  1. A 10K is the perfect length. I also make little goals for myself the entire way and that makes it so much easier. I have long legs, too, and I wish that I would have done hurdles in high school instead of sprints. Oh, my wasted youth!I haven't run since the half. I've just taken a couple walks. I think I have some sinus infection, but I hope to lace those shoes up again soon.

    ReplyDelete