Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pink Ribbon/ Red Ribbon

"If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you to go on in spite of all. And so today I still have a dream."
Dr. Martin Luther King

Isn't that beautiful? What an amazing man- wish I could have a conversation with Dr. King!

Have you noticed that everywhere you look you see pink ribbons? You know, to bring awareness to breast cancer! I think that's great- really, I do. Mammograms are a wonderful tool and I'm thankful for them. Even though is seems almost inhumane when you're having one!

You can show your support through a variety of ways, from running a race to buying chicken noodle soup! There has been a lot of money put into bringing "awareness" to breast cancer. Having said that, I do think it's pretty obvious that our society is obsessed with breasts- and so is Hollywood. The implant business is booming- even in this economy- I know a lot of women that have spent their hard earned money on implants-

A recent study shows that for every one woman who dies of breast cancer, 10 die to Heart disease. When I heard that I have to tell you that I was really angry, seems to me that everyone is concerned with our breast and not our heart. Maybe if our heart were deemed as important as our breast those statistics would be a lot lower!

2 comments:

  1. beautiful thought aunt kimberly. you're brialliant at this blogging stuff! love you and miss you. i am going to come see you in march!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't even get me started on how breast cancer awareness is drowning out the noise of every other disease out there. just ask the carters. say "pink ribbon" to me and i flip out.

    ReplyDelete