Friday, March 19, 2010

Day Dreams

If you're a daydreamer be proud! Keep it up- I've always been a daydreamer because it's worked for me. I don't get too disappointed when the daydream doesn't come to pass. It's really a bit of a coping mechanism. It's given me a sense of hope at times in my life when I had very little to be hopeful for, especially when I was young, but even now I'm day dreaming about a few things.... when I have time!

I remember when I was in the 4th grade my teacher told my mom at conferences that I was "just a day dreamer", like it was a really bad thing or something! (remember the scene in Uncle Buck where he goes to see the principal and she tells him that his neice is a waste, a silly heart, and he throws her a quater and tells her to take it and go down town and have a rat naw that wart off her face? that's what someone should have told Mrs. Mills for the way she treated me) Look, I knew I was a talker, but I really couldn't help myself :) (No guilt here) but why make a girl feel bad about being a daydreamer or a talker? I'm certain that God made us girls that way, we're communicators, nurturers, made to be passionate about relationships and everything that concerns us, we have to talk about whatever is going on in our lives, and talk about it to whoever will listen. But. Mrs. Mills was a cold-hearted woman, she obviously had no concept of how God created boys and girls. My brother was in her class the year before me and she really liked him, he was smart and wanted to please her and do everything that was expected of him. I remember passing notes to Tracy Whomble to see if she wanted to trade shoes for the day. Mrs. Mills would pull my hair and hit me over the head with a yard stick.... Sounds like a law suite today doesn't it? It probably contributed to the reason I was so determined to put my kids in private school, in retrospec I probaly didn't make the best decision on that one either but at least my heart was in the right place so no regrets.
I will continue to daydream about our next vacation... and the house we’re hunting for at the moment.... And whatever else, but I will NOT feel bad about it.

“Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman

1 comment:

  1. day dreamer extrodinaire... i do it all the time and matthew never gets it. he never dreams, how sad, don't ya think? he was dreaming the other day for what i think is the first time i have ever seen. he was dreaming about buying a cabin in northern wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete